So earlier in the summer I made this little quilt to go in the window of a shop where I used to teach classes. The theme for the window was Under the Sea. It was for the town carnival and all the shops are asked to decorate their windows along the same theme.
I had an idea for a modern design with on point quilt construction. I played with the fish block construction quite a bit, ended up with quite a few rejects before I settled on this one!
I decided to quilt free motion wavy lines to represent waves. And wanted to add bubbles coming up from their mouths.
The only problem was that as usual I was quilting late at night (please tell me I'm not the only one that does this!) and to a deadline and given the nature of the block pattern I quilted the bubbles upside down! I could have left it as it was, no one else would have known the quilt was upside down as the fish look no different one way to the other. But I would know and I had wanted the Mamma fish to be uppermost....so lots of unpicking followed, lots of burying threads. But now the bubbles are in the right place!