At The Crafty Nomad we respect the privacy of visitors to our website www.thecraftynomad.co.uk. This policy is concerned with how we collect information, what we do with it and what controls you have over your personal information.
The Crafty Nomad writes and sells quilt and sewing patterns, either by direct sales or via our subscription service. We may also sell related products from time to time.
We take our duty to process your personal information very seriously. This policy explains how we collect, manage, use and protect your personal information.
We may change this document from time to time to reflect the latest view of what we do with your information. Please check back frequently; you will be able to see if changes have been made by the date it was last updated.
Refer to the sections below for more details on how and why we use your personal information:
- Who are we?
- What personal information we collect and how we use it
- Legitimate interests
- Sharing your information
- Retaining your information
- Your details on the web
- What are your rights?
- How to contact us
1. Who are we?
In this policy references to The Crafty Nomad, or to ‘we’ or ‘us’ are to Joanne Westfoot trading as The Crafty Nomad which is based in England.
2. What personal information we collect and how we use it?
What we need
The Crafty Nomad is what’s known as the ‘controller’ of the personal information you provide to us. We will usually collect basic personal information about you like your name, postal address, telephone number, email address and your payment details if you are purchasing from us.
Sometimes we will collect other information about you. We will be very clear with you that we wish to collect such information, our reason for collecting such information, and we would only do so with your consent. We do not collect sensitive data.
Please let us know if your personal information changes so that we can keep our records accurate and be able to contact you if necessary. We may contact you via, telephone, text, email or post.
Why we need it
We collect your personal information in connection with specific activities, such as, newsletter requests, registration of subscription service, product purchases, feedback, competition entries, information you provide in public forums on our sites and applications.
The information is either needed to fulfil your request or to enable us to provide you with a more personalised service. You don't have to disclose any of this information to browse our site. However, if you choose to withhold requested information, we may not be able to provide you with certain services.
Sometimes, with your consent, we will process your personal information to provide you with information about our work or our activities that you have requested or are expecting.
On other occasions, we may process personal information when we need to do this to fulfil a contract (for example, if you have purchased something from our online shop) or where we are required to do this by law or other regulations.
The Crafty Nomad also processes your information when it is in our legitimate interests to do this and when these interests do not override your rights. Those legitimate interests include providing you with information on our products, services, products, newsletter requests, feedback, competitions and other activities. Please see the section on 'Legitimate Interest' for more information.
How we obtain your details
We will also hold information about your details so that we can respect your preferences for being contacted by us.
We collect your personal information in a number of ways:
- When you provide it to us directly.
- When you provide permission to other organisations to share it with us (including Facebook or Twitter).
- When you have given it to a third party and you have provided permission to pass your information on to us.
- From publicly available sources (where possible) to keep your information up to date (e.g. the Post Office’s National Change of Address database).
- We combine the information from these sources with the information you provide to us directly.
Please note that we will not knowingly market to or accept orders for goods or services from persons aged under 18 years.
As a parent or guardian we encourage you to be aware of the activities in which your children are participating, both offline and online. If your children voluntarily disclose information, this may encourage unsolicited messages. We suggest that you discourage your child from providing any information without your consent.
Where do we store your data
We store your information, whenever possible, on secure servers in the European Economic Area (EEA). However, some of our suppliers are based outside the EEA and therefore your information may be accessed outside the EEA. This will be done in accordance with guidance issued by the Information Commissioner’s Office. Currently we use the following service providers based outside the EEA: Mailchimp (email marketing newsletter); Square Space (web host); Stripe & Paypal (payment services); Etsy; Moonclerk (subscription management); and Facebook (social media).
We have procedures and security features in place to keep your information secure once we receive it. This is detailed in our Data Protection and Security Policy.
If you would like to change the way you hear from us or no longer wish to receive direct marketing communications from then use the contact form on our 'Contact Us' page, email us or click on the Manage your preferences link at the bottom of our emails.
3. Legitimate interests
We have a number of lawful reasons that mean we can use your personal information. One of these is something called 'legitimate interests'. Broadly speaking Legitimate Interests means we can process your personal information if:
We have a genuine and legitimate reason.
We are not harming any of your rights and interests.
Please read the information we have provide in the 'Legitimate Interest' Policy for more detailed information.
4. Sharing your information
We do not share your information with any other organisations or individuals unless we are when obliged to by law, for purposes of national security, taxation and criminal investigations and in the following instances:
- If you have agreed that we may do so.
- When we use other companies to provide services on our behalf, e.g. processing, mailing or delivering orders, answering customers’ questions about products or services, sending mail and emails, customer analysis, assessment, when using auditors/advisors or processing credit/debit card payments.
- If we merge with another organisation to form a new entity, information may be transferred to the new entity.
- We may disclose aggregate statistics about our site visitors, supporters, customers and sales to describe our services and operations to prospective partners, advertisers and other reputable third parties and for other lawful purposes, but these statistics won’t include any personally identifying information.
- If we run an event in partnership with other named organisations your details may need to be shared. We will be very clear what will happen to your data when you register.
And, we will never sell or rent your personal information to other organisations.
Our website contains links to third party websites, plug-in and applications. If you click on those links and enabling those connections may allow those third parties to collect or share data about you. We do not control these third party websites or have any responsibility for their privacy policies. So we would encourage you, when you leave our website, to view the privacy policies of other websites.
5. Retaining your information
We hold your information only as long as necessary for each reason that we use it. We have provided some examples of the time we will keep your information in this paragraph but you can contact us for more information.
If decide not to support The Crafty Nomad any more or request that we have no further contact with you, we will keep some basic information in order to avoid sending you unwanted materials in the future and to ensure that we don’t accidentally duplicate information.
If you make a purchase from us, we will keep the purchase information for a period of seven years for accounting purposes.
7. What are your rights?
You have a number of rights about how the personal information you provide can be used. These are:
- Transparency over how we use your personal information (right to be informed).
- The ability to request a copy of the information we hold about you, which will be provided to you within one month (right of access).
- Update or amend the information we hold about you if it is wrong (right of rectification).
- Ask us to stop using your information (right to restrict processing).
- Ask us to remove your personal information from our records (right to be 'forgotten').
- Object to the processing of your information for marketing purposes (right to object).
- Obtain and reuse your personal information for your own purposes (right to data portability).
- Not be subject to a decision when it is based on automated processing (automated decision making and profiling).
If you would like to know more about your rights under the data protection law, you can find out more at the Information Commissioners Office website.
Remember, you can change the way you hear from us or withdraw your permission for us to processing your personal information at any time by using the form on our 'Contact Us' page, email us or click on the Manage your preferences link at the bottom of our emails.
8. How to contact us
If you wish to raise a complaint on how we have handled your personal information, please contact us so we can investigate the matter. If you are not satisfied with our response or believe we are not processing your personal information in accordance with the law you can complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO).
You can contact The Crafty Nomad:
- By telephone: 07519 799221
- By email: email@example.com
This document was last updated: May 2018